Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The President Speaks

Tonight, as we all know, the President will unveil his already well-known "way forward in Iraq." I offered the leaked outlines of the plan last week. I'm sure those details will hold.

The media is in full anticipation and commentary mode *yawn*. I'll be looking at their reactions tomorrow. But tonight, I wanted to debunk some truly bad arguments that's being wafted about.

First, perhaps snidely, I have to comment on a blip I heard this morning. We all know that Bush will attempt the near impossible, convincing the American public that the Iraq debacle can be salvaged AND that 20,000 and a couple of billion will do it nicely. A herculean feat for even the most skilled of wordsmiths. Oh, wait, President Bush isn't that. But not to fear, his press staff say that Bush will be in "education and explanation" mode this evening. So everyone, look forward to being schooled on the nuances of the Iraqi quagmire this evening. Ought to be interesting.

Lastly, I just have to call'em like I see it. When confronted with poll numbers showing that the American public, in vast numbers, do not favor increasing troop levels, the admimistration's line is that "we don't make policy decisions based on polls." But then I hear, almost in the same breath, "we truly believe that the American public wants to win and that they support our policies." Hmm, can't have it both ways. But who after all is really paying attention?!

No comments: